Topic Last Modified: 2008-11-03
Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 setup is issuing a warning because the local computer belongs to a single-labeled DNS domain.
Active Directory domains with single-label DNS domain names will not be supported as a deployment environment for versions of Exchange Server later than Exchange Server 2007.
Single-label DNS domain names are DNS names that do not contain a suffix such as .com, .corp, .net, or .org. An example of a single-label DNS domain name would be "Contoso" as opposed to a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) such as "Contoso.com" or "Contoso.local".
To address this warning, it is strongly recommended that you change your organization's DNS domain name to an FQDN.
For more information about known issues with Exchange Server 2007 and single-label DNS domain names, see the Exchange Team blog post, "Single-label Domain Names and Exchange Server 2007 SP1" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=113961).
|The content of each blog and its URL are subject to change without notice.|
For information about how to rename your domain, see the following Windows Operating System and Active Directory resources:
- What Is Domain Rename? (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=113962)
- Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows Server 2003: Implementing an
Active Directory Domain Rename Operation (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=819145)
- After a domain rename with Exchange 2003 installed, you can use
Microsoft Exchange Server Domain Rename Fixup (XDR-Fixup) tool to
fix Exchange attributes in Active Directory.
- Download the Microsoft Exchange Server Domain Rename Fixup
(XDR-Fixup) tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=113963)
- For information about the Exchange 2003 Domain Rename Fixup
tool, see the following resources:
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 842116, "Supplemental steps
for using the Exchange Server Domain Rename Fixup tool together
with the Windows Server 2003 domain rename tools" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=842116)
- Support WebCast: "Renaming domains when Microsoft Exchange
Server 2003 is in the Active Directory" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=838623)
- Microsoft Exchange Team Blog: "Exchange and Domain Rename
- Microsoft Exchange Team Blog: "XDR-Fixup (Exchange domain
rename fixup) and Static DNS Names" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=113965)