Applies to: Exchange Server 2010 SP3, Exchange Server 2010 SP2
Topic Last Modified: 2012-02-28
Moving mailboxes from Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 to Exchange Server 2007? Consider the following:
- The move process is performed offline, and end-users won't be
able to access their mailboxes during the move.
- You can't move mailboxes to or from servers running Exchange
2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or earlier. The target database must
be on a server running Exchange 2007 SP3.
- Perform the move from an Exchange 2010 server by using the move
request cmdlets in the Exchange Management Shell. You can't use the
Move-Mailbox cmdlets in Exchange 2007 to move the
- If the mailbox that you're moving has an archive mailbox
associated with it, you must disable the archive before moving the
- If you’re moving a mailbox to Exchange 2007, you must disable
single-item recovery and purge the Recoverable Items folder. For
details, see Clean Up the Recoverable
For detailed instructions about how to move mailboxes, see Managing Move Requests.
To learn more about moving mailboxes, see Understanding Move Requests.