Applies to: Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2013-02-21
You can enable or disable Message Waiting Indicator for users associated with a Unified Messaging (UM) mailbox policy. Message Waiting Indicator is a feature found in most legacy voice mail systems. In its most common form, it lights a lamp on a voice mail subscriber’s phone to indicate the presence of a new voice mail message. Message Waiting Indicator can also send a text message to a UM-enabled user's mobile phone. The default setting is enabled.
If Message Waiting Indicator is disabled on the UM IP gateway, the feature isn't available to UM-enabled users associated with the UM mailbox policy.
For additional management tasks related to UM mailbox policies, see UM Mailbox Policy Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM mailbox policies" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM mailbox
policy has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Mailbox
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to disable Message Waiting Indicator
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM
dial plans. In the list view, select the UM dial plan you want
to change, and then click Edit .
- Under UM Mailbox Policies, select the UM mailbox policy
you want to manage, and then click Edit .
- On the UM Mailbox Policy page, clear the check box next
to Allow Message Waiting Indicator.
- Click Save.
Use the Shell to disable Message Waiting Indicator
This example disables Message Waiting Indicator for
users associated with the UM mailbox policy named
Set-UMMailboxPolicy -identity MyUMMailboxPolicy -AllowMessageWaitingIndicator $false