Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2012-10-14
The global address list (GAL) is a directory that contains entries for every group, user, and contact within an Exchange organization.
For additional management tasks related to address lists, see Address List Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete each procedure: 5 minutes.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"Address lists" entry in the Email Address and
Address Book Permissions topic.
- You can't remove the default GAL.
- You can’t use the Exchange Administration Center (EAC) to
perform this procedure. You must use the Shell.
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
Use the Shell to remove a GAL
This example removes the GAL Fourth Coffee from the domain controller ad-server.fourthcoffee.com.
Remove-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Fourth Coffee" -DomainController ad-server.fourthcoffee.com
To confirm that you want to remove the GAL, type Y, and then press ENTER.
For detailed syntax and parameter information, see Remove-GlobalAddressList.