Applies to: Exchange Server 2013
Topic Last Modified: 2013-01-30
MailTips that provide information about the size of distribution groups and dynamic distribution groups rely on group metrics data. Group metrics data is generated on designated Mailbox servers. For more information about group metrics, see Group Metrics and MailTips.
You can enable or disable group metrics generation on a Mailbox server.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete each procedure: 10 minutes
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"Group metrics" entry in the Recipients
- Group metrics data is only used for MailTips. Make sure that
group metrics MailTips are enabled in your organization. For
detailed steps, see Manage MailTips for
- You can't use the Exchange admin center (EAC) to perform this
procedure. You can only use the Shell.
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
Use the Shell to enable or disable group metrics generation
|By default, group metrics data is generated on any server responsible for generating the offline address book (OAB). These examples are only necessary for organizations that don't use OABs.|
To enable or disable group metrics generation on a Mailbox server, run the following command:
Set-MailboxServer <ServerIdentity> -ForceGroupMetricsGeneration <$true | $false>
This example enables group metrics generation on a Mailbox server named MBX1.
Set-MailboxServer MBX1 -ForceGroupMetricsGeneration $true
How do you know this worked?
To verify that you have successfully enabled or disabled group metrics generation in an organization that doesn't use OABs, do the following:
- Run the following command:
Get-MailboxServer <ServerIdentity> | Format-List ForceGroupMetricsGeneration
- Verify the setting displayed is the setting you configured.