Applies to: Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2013-02-22
You can enable or disable common Unified Messaging (UM) PIN patterns for Outlook Voice Access users. If you enable or disable the common PIN patterns setting on a UM mailbox policy, the setting will apply to all UM-enabled users associated with the UM mailbox policy. By default, UM-enabled users can't use common patterns when they create a PIN.
You can configure several PIN-related settings on a UM mailbox policy. The Allow Common PIN Patterns setting is used to allow or prevent the use of common number patterns when users create a PIN. By default, this setting is disabled and prevents users from using the following number patterns:
- Sequential numbers These are PIN values
that include only consecutive numbers. Examples of consecutive
numbers for a PIN are 1234 and 65432.
- Repeated numbers These are PIN values
that include only repeated numbers. Examples of repeated numbers
are 11111 and 22222.
- Suffix of mailbox extension These are
PIN values that include the suffix of a user's mailbox extension.
For example, if a user's mailbox extension is 36697, the user's PIN
cannot be 3669712.
|If the Allow Common PIN Patterns setting is enabled, only the suffix of the mailbox extension will be rejected.|
For additional tasks related to Outlook Voice Access PIN security, see PIN Security Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM mailbox policies" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM mailbox
policy has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Mailbox
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to enable common PIN patterns
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM
dial plans. In the list view, select the UM dial plan you want
to modify, and then on the toolbar, click Edit .
- On the UM Dial Plan page, under UM Mailbox
Policies, select the UM mailbox policy you want to manage, and
then on the toolbar, click Edit .
- On the UM Mailbox Policy page, under PIN polices
select the check box next to Allow common PIN patterns.
- Click Save.
Use the Shell to enable common PIN patterns
This example allows users associated with the UM
mailbox policy named
MyUMMailboxPolicy to use PINs
that contain common patterns.
Set-UMMailboxPolicy -Identity MyUMMailboxPolicy -AllowCommonPatterns $true