Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2012-10-13
Delivery Reports is a message tracking tool in the Exchange Administration Center (EAC) that you can use to search for delivery status on email messages sent to or from users in your organization's address book, with a certain subject. You can track delivery information about messages sent by or received from any specific mailbox in your organization. The content of the message body isn't returned in a delivery report, but the subject line is displayed in the results. You can track messages for up to 14 days after they were sent or received.
|Delivery Reports tracks messages sent by people using the Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web App email clients. It doesn't track messages sent from POP or IMAP email clients, such as Windows Mail, Outlook Express, or Mozilla Thunderbird.|
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete each procedure: Time to complete
will vary based on the scope of your search.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"Message tracking" entry in the Mail Flow
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
- Having problems? Ask for help in the Exchange forums. Visit the
forums at: Exchange Server, Exchange Online, or Exchange Online Protection.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to track messages
- In the EAC, navigate to Mail
Flow > Delivery Reports.
- Enter the following information:
- * Mailbox to search: Click Browse to select
the mailbox from the address book and then click OK.
Selecting the mailbox to search is required.
- Select one of the following:
- Search for messages sent to Use this
option to search for messages sent to specific users. Click
Select users and then pick users from the address book by
selecting a user from the list and clicking Add. You can
select more than one user here. When you're finished selecting
users, click OK to return to the Delivery Reports
page. If you select this option, you can also leave the field blank
to find messages sent to anyone.
- Search for messages received
from Use this option to search for
messages received from a specific user. Again, just select the user
from the address book and click OK to return to the
Delivery Reports page. If you select this option, you have
to specify a sender.
- Search for messages sent to Use this option to search for messages sent to specific users. Click Select users and then pick users from the address book by selecting a user from the list and clicking Add. You can select more than one user here. When you're finished selecting users, click OK to return to the Delivery Reports page. If you select this option, you can also leave the field blank to find messages sent to anyone.
- Search for these words in the subject
line Enter subject line information here, or
leave it blank to expand your search.
- * Mailbox to search: Click Browse to select the mailbox from the address book and then click OK. Selecting the mailbox to search is required.
- When you are finished, click Search. If you want to
start over, click Clear.
Use the EAC to review a delivery report
To view delivery information, select a message in the Search results pane and click Details.
The delivery report shows delivery status and detailed delivery information for the message you have selected from the Search results pane. At the top of the report, you'll see the following fields:
- Subject The subject line of the message
appears as the heading of the report.
- From Alias, display name, or email
address of the person who sent the message.
- To Alias, display name, or email
address for each recipient of the message.
- Sent Date and time the message was
Summary to date section
This section appears in the delivery report if a message was sent to more than one person or recipient. The top of this section tells you the total number of recipients that the message was sent to and gives brief delivery information for each recipient.
- Summary to date Displays total number
of recipients, and if there are messages Pending, Delivered, or
Unsuccessful. Click the hyperlinks to sort by status.
- Search box The search box is useful if
you sent the message to a group of more than 30 recipients. In the
search box, type an email address that you want to get delivery
information about and click the magnifying glass.
- To Shows the email address of the
- Status This column displays the status
of the message for each recipient.
Detailed report information
This section contains detailed delivery information for a message sent to the recipient you select in the Summary to date section.
- Delivery Report for The email address
of the selected recipient is shown here.
- Submitted Date and time that the
message was submitted for delivery by the system.
Depending on the delivery status of the message, you may see a variety of status states, including:
- Delivered Indicates successful
- Deferred Indicates that a message is
- Pending If message delivery is pending
because a message meets the criteria for an organization-wide rule
or policy or because it’s subject to message approval, the status
message explains what action a rule is performing or that the
message must be approved by a moderator before delivery.
- Moderator The status indicates whether
the message was approved or rejected by the moderator.
- Groups Expanded If a message was sent
to a group, the individual users are shown in the Summary to
date section so you can see the delivery status for each
recipient. If you need to remove or add a user to a group during a
delivery report investigation, you can modify a group by clicking
- Failed Shows the date, time, and reason
for a message delivery failure. For example, an organization-wide
rule may be blocking message delivery or the message couldn't be
When you're done reviewing the report, click Close. Delivery reports aren't saved, but you can re-run a report at any time. Remember there is a two-week search window.
How do you know this worked?
If your search was successful, messages that fit the search criteria are listed in the Search results pane. To view the delivery information for a specific message, select it and then click Details. If no messages are displayed in the Search results pane, change the search criteria and then re-run the search.