Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2012-11-30
By default, each Unified Messaging (UM) dial plan uses a standard .wav file for the welcome greeting that’s played to callers, including Outlook Voice Access users who dial in to an Outlook Voice Access number that’s been configured. However, you can create a .wav or .wma file for the welcome greeting, and then enable it on the UM dial plan.
For example, you might want to change the default welcome greeting and instead provide a welcome greeting that's specific to your company, such as "Welcome to Outlook Voice Access for Woodgrove Bank." To do this, you record the customized welcome greeting and save it as a .wav or .wma file. Then you configure the dial plan to use the customized welcome greeting.
For more information about the menu options available for Outlook Voice Access users, see the Quick Reference Guide for Outlook Voice Access, which is available from the Microsoft Download Center.
For additional management tasks related to UM dial plans, see UM Dial Plan Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM dial plans" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EMC to enable a customized welcome greeting
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM
- In the list view, select the UM dial plan that you want to
modify, and then click Edit .
- On the UM dial plan page, click Configure.
- In Outlook Voice Access, under Welcome greeting,
click Change, and then click Browse to locate the
Important: The file you use for the welcome greeting must be a .wav or .wma file.
- After you've located the file, click Open, and then
Use the Shell to enable a customized welcome greeting
This example enables a welcome greeting that uses the
C:\UMPrompts\welcome.wav file on a UM dial plan named
Set-UMDialPlan -Identity MyUMDialPlan -WelcomeGreetingEnabled $true -WelcomeGreetingFilename c:\UMPrompts\welcome.wav