Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2013-02-11
You can enable inbound faxes for users linked with a Unified Messaging (UM) mailbox policy. By default, when you enable users for Unified Messaging, users can't receive fax messages until you specify the URI for the fax partner server, deploy a fax partner server for your organization, and enable faxing on a UM mailbox policy. If the option to allow incoming faxes is disabled on the UM dial plan, the users linked with the UM mailbox policy still won't be able to receive faxes. Similarly, if the option to allow incoming faxes is disabled on an individual user, that user won’t be able to receive faxes.
For more information about fax partners, see Microsoft PinPoint for Fax Partners.
For additional management tasks related to faxing, see Faxing Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM mailbox policies" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM mailbox
policy has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Mailbox
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to enable inbound faxing
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM
dial plans. In the list view, select the UM dial plan you want
to modify, and then click Edit .
- On the UM dial plan page, under UM Mailbox
Policies, select the mailbox policy you want to modify, and
then click Edit .
- On the UM mailbox policy page > General,
select the check box next to Allow inbound faxes.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Use the Shell to enable inbound faxing
This example allows users who are linked with the UM
MyUMMailboxPolicy to use inbound
Set-UMMailboxPolicy -identity MyUMMailboxPolicy -AllowFax $true