Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2012-11-13
You can enable outgoing calls for a Unified Messaging (UM) IP gateway if outgoing calls have been disabled. When you select the Allow outgoing calls through this UM IP gateway option on the properties for the UM IP gateway, you configure the UM IP gateway to accept and send outgoing calls to a Voice over IP (VoIP) gateway, Private Branch eXchange (PBX) enabled for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), IP PBX, or session border controller (SBC). Although the Allow outgoing calls through this UM IP gateway setting controls whether the UM IP gateway is able to initiate outgoing calls for users, it doesn't affect call transfers or incoming calls from a VoIP gateway, PBX enabled for SIP, IP PBX, or SBC.
Outdialing is the term used to describe a situation in which a user in one UM dial plan initiates a call to a UM-enabled user in another dial plan or to an external telephone number.
To allow outdialing for UM-enabled users, you must:
- Verify that the UM IP gateway allows outgoing calls.
- Create dialing rule groups by creating dialing rule entries on
the UM dial plan associated with the UM IP gateway.
- Add the correct dialing rule groups to the list of dialing
restrictions in Dialing authorization on the UM dial plan,
auto attendant, or UM mailbox policy.
For additional management tasks related to UM IP gateways, see UM IP Gateway Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM IP gateways" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM IP
gateway has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM IP
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to enable outgoing calls for a UM IP gateway
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM IP
Gateways, select the UM IP gateway you want to change, and then
click Edit .
- On the UM IP Gateway page, select the check box next to
Allow outgoing calls through this UM IP gateway.
- Click Save.
Use the Shell to enable outgoing calls for a UM IP gateway
This example enables outgoing calls on a UM IP gateway
Set-UMIPGateway -Identity MyUMIPGateway -OutcallsAllowed $true