Applies to: Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Online
Topic Last Modified: 2013-02-22
You can configure the PIN lifetime for users who are enabled for Unified Messaging (UM). The PIN lifetime is the maximum time that an Outlook Voice Access PIN will be valid for UM-enabled recipients. The PIN lifetime setting is configured on a UM mailbox policy and applies to all UM-enabled users associated with the UM mailbox policy.
Several PIN-related settings can be configured on a UM mailbox policy. The PIN lifetime setting controls the time interval, in days, from the date Outlook Voice Access users last changed their PIN to the date they'll be forced to change their PIN again. The range is 0 through 999, and the default is 60 days. If you enter 0, the user's PIN won't expire. We recommend that you don’t configure this setting to 0, because by doing so you greatly reduce the security of your network.
|Unified Messaging doesn't notify users when their PIN is about to expire.|
For additional tasks related to Outlook Voice Access PIN security, see PIN Security Procedures.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete: Less than 1 minute.
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"UM mailbox policies" entry in the Unified Messaging
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM dial
plan has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Dial
- Before you perform these procedures, confirm that a UM mailbox
policy has been created. For detailed steps, see Create a UM Mailbox
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to configure the PIN lifetime
- In the EAC, navigate to Unified Messaging > UM
- In the list view, select the UM dial plan you want to change,
and then click Edit .
- On the UM dial plan page, under UM Mailbox
Policies, select the UM mailbox policy you want to change, and
then click Edit .
- Click PIN policies, and next to Enforce PIN lifetime
(days), enter a value between 0 and 999.
- Click Save.
Use the Shell to configure the PIN lifetime
This example sets the number of days that a PIN can be
used for Outlook Voice Access users who are associated with a UM
mailbox policy named
MyUMMailboxPolicy to 30.
Set-UMMailboxPolicy -Identity MyUMMailboxPolicy -PINLifetime 30
This example configures the following PIN-related
settings for Outlook Voice Access users who are associated with a
UM mailbox policy named
- Sets the number of logon failures before the user's PIN is
reset to 3.
- Sets the maximum number of logon attempts to 5.
- Sets the minimum PIN length to 9 digits.
- Sets the PIN to expire in 40 days.
Set-UMMailboxPolicy -Identity MyUMMailboxPolicy -LogonFailuresBeforePINReset 3 -MaxLogonAttempts 5 -MinPINLength 9 -PINLifetime 40