Applies to: Exchange Server 2013
Topic Last Modified: 2012-12-04
In on-premises deployments, In-Place Archives are created with unlimited storage quotas by default. As a result, you'll need to edit a mailbox's properties to set storage quotas for the archive. You can set the following quotas for an archive:
- Archive warning quota When an In-Place
Archive exceeds the specified archive warning quota, an event is
logged for the Exchange administrator and a warning message is sent
to the mailbox user.
- Archive quota When an In-Place Archive
exceeds the specified archive quota, messages are no longer moved
to the archive and a warning message is sent to the mailbox
To learn more about In-Place Archives, see In-Place Archiving.
What do you need to know before you begin?
- Estimated time to complete each procedure: 5 minutes.
- In the Exchange Administration Center (EAC), you can use a
drop-down list with fixed values to configure the archive quota and
archive warning quota. If you want to set either quota to a value
that’s not listed in the EAC, use the Shell.
- Configure the archive warning quota to a lower value than the
archive quota. Depending on the rate of archive growth for a user,
the difference between the archive warning quota and the archive
quota should allow for sufficient time for the user to take
appropriate actions, such as deleting items from the archive or
requesting that an administrator or IT helpdesk to raise the
- You need to be assigned permissions before you can perform this
procedure or procedures. To see what permissions you need, see the
"Recipient Provisioning Permissions" section in the Recipients
- For information about keyboard shortcuts that may apply to the
procedures in this topic, see Keyboard Shortcuts in
the Exchange Admin Center.
What do you want to do?
Use the EAC to configure the archive quota and archive warning quota for a mailbox
- Navigate to Recipients > Mailboxes
- In the list view, select a mailbox,
- In the details pane, under In-Place Archive, click
- In Archive Mailbox, use the Quota value (GB) and
Issue warning at (GB) lists to select the desired
- Click OK.
Use the Shell to configure the archive quota and archive warning quota for a mailbox
This example sets Chris Ashton’s mailbox archive quota to 10 gigabyte (GB), at which time the user will receive a warning message that the In-Place Archive is full and he will no longer be able to move items to the archive. This example also sets the archive warning quota to 9.5 GB, at which time the user will receive a warning message that the In-Place Archive is almost full.
Set-Mailbox -Identity "Chris Ashton" -ArchiveQuota 10GB -ArchiveWarningQuota 9.5GB
For detailed syntax and parameter information, see Set-Mailbox.
How do you know this worked?
To verify that you’ve successfully enabled an on-premises archive for an existing mailbox, do one of the following:
- In the EAC, navigate to Recipients
> Mailboxes and select the mailbox you want.
In the details pane, under In-Place Archive, click View
Details and verify the archive’s quota settings.
- In the Shell, run the following command to display quota
information about the archive.
Get-Mailbox <Name> | FL Name,Archive*Quota