Topic Last Modified: 2011-01-28
After completing the initial interview questions, you can edit the site, Edge, IP address, and server fully qualified domain name (FQDN) information. To do this, on the Global Topology page, double-click the site that you want to edit.
The Planning Tool displays the site topology for the selected site. At the bottom of the site page are four tabs:
- Site Topology – The currently displayed page with a visual
overview of the topology as recommended.
- Edge Network Diagram – The Edge Network Diagram page is where
most of the work that the designer will do in the Planning Tool is
done. The diagram displays the network configuration for a
recommended Microsoft Lync Server 2010 topology, with editable
entries for IP addresses and FQDNs for servers, pool, and load
balancers – both hardware and Domain Name System (DNS).
Warning: Initially, all entries in the Edge Network Diagram have default values. If the designer should choose not to edit the entries for IP addresses and FQDNs in the Planning Tool, the entries not modified will not be exported from the Planning Tool to a topology file importable for Topology Builder. Modified entries will be in black (or a dark) text, while default entries will be in red, italic text.
- Site Summary – The site summary presents an overview of the
selections that were made by the interview questions. Capacity
information is also presented, along with information on High
Availability. Additional information on audio/video (A/V)
Conferencing Servers is included to inform the reader when separate
(over collocated) A/V Conferencing Servers should be used.
Note: The information on the Site Summary page is customized for each design and may not contain all sections or information detailed here.
- Edge Admin Report – The Edge Admin Report contains a total of
- Summary Report – A general report of settings for the Edge
network configuration. If you edit the values to the topology
TCP/IP and FQDN values of the actual deployment, those addresses
and names will be represented here. Otherwise, the default text
will be represented.
- Certificate Report – The certificate report will list the
subject name and subject alternative names for the certificates
that are required for the topology.
- Firewall Report – The firewall report lists information
necessary to configure perimeter firewalls in the infrastructure.
Provided are the IP addresses (from the edited values, if
provided), server role, source IP and port, destination IP and
port, transport protocol, application protocol, and relevant
- DNS Report – The DNS Report lists relevant information for the
DNS entries that you should create. The record type, FQDN, IP
address, and comments necessary for the proper operation are
- Summary Report – A general report of settings for the Edge network configuration. If you edit the values to the topology TCP/IP and FQDN values of the actual deployment, those addresses and names will be represented here. Otherwise, the default text will be represented.