Topic Last Modified: 2011-01-27
Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software requires Domain Name System (DNS) and uses it in the following ways:
- To discover internal servers or pools for server-to-server
- To allow clients to discover the Front End pool or Standard
Edition server used for various SIP transactions.
- To associate the simple URLs for conferences with the servers
hosting those conferences.
- To allow external servers and clients to connect to Edge
Servers or the HTTP reverse proxy for instant messaging (IM) or
- To allow unified communications (UC) devices that are not
logged in to discover the Front End pool or Standard Edition server
running Device Update Web service, obtain updates, and send
- For DNS load balancing.
|Lync Server 2010 does not support internationalized domain names (IDNs).|