Sometimes one or more servers or server roles need to be removed from the Office Communications Server environment. Examples of this situation include upgrades, changes in topology, recovery from software or hardware corruption, or other scenarios in which a server or server role needs to be changed or removed while the Office Communications Server environment remains intact.
You can use Add or Remove Programs to remove an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 server role, including a Standard Edition server, a server in an Enterprise pool, a Mediation Server, an Archiving Server, a Monitoring Server, and an Edge Server.
Remove Server Components
After you stop and deactivate the necessary services, use the procedure described in this section to remove a server.
|Before you remove a Mediation Server, deactivate server roles to remove Active Directory objects that are associated with it. For details, see in the Administering Office Communications Server 2007 R2 documentation.|
Required Order of Operations for Removing Mediation Server Components
Remove the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 components in the following sequence:
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Administrative
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Mediation
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Core Components
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Unified
Communications Managed API 2.0 Core Redistribution package
|Your Mediation Server may not have the Administrative Tools installed. If the Administrative Tools are installed, remove them first.|
To remove a server
- Log on to the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 server as a
member of the local Administrators group.
- In Control Panel, do one of the following:
- In Windows Server 2008, open
Programs and Features.
- In Windows Server 2003, open
Add or Remove Programs, and then click
Change or Remove Programs.
- In Windows Server 2008, open Programs and Features.
- In the list of installed programs, click the Office
Communications Server 2007 R2 server role you want to remove. Use
the information provided previously in this section to determine
which server to remove first.
- In the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Setup Wizard,
follow the instructions to complete the wizard.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each server role on the server, in
the sequence described earlier in this topic.
|After you successfully remove the server components, follow your organization’s guidelines for decommissioning excess server hardware.|