Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 supports topologies that are designed to meet the needs of organizations that are small, medium, or large and that have varying requirements for performance, high availability, and scalability. It also integrates with various server and client technologies. The following sections identify the topologies, configurations, and system requirements for Office Communications Server 2007 R2, including the following:
- Supported Active Directory topologies.
- All Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition topologies and all
server role components for both the internal and the perimeter
- Server roles that can be collocated.
- Clients that support internal and external users.
- Migration path to Office Communications Server 2007 R2,
including components that can coexist during phased migrations.
- System and environmental requirements. For details about
configurations and system requirements that are specific to a
feature or topology, see the relevant sections in
The following figure illustrates external, perimeter, and internal network segments with the logical components that are described in sections that follow.