The easiest way to check the performance of your Communicator Web Access servers is to use the Communicator Web Access snap-in. The Communicator Web Access snap-in includes an embedded instance of Performance Monitor (located on the Performancetab) for each of your Communicator Web Access servers. To view performance information for a computer running Communicator Web Access, click the computer name in the console tree, and then click the Performancetab.
By default, each instance of Performance Monitor displays the following performance counters:
- CWA – 002 – Successful forms auth logon attempts/sec
- CWA – 006 – Successful IWA auth logon attempts/sec
- CWA – 001 – Requests rejected due to invalid ticket
- CWA – 001 – Logons denied due to server throttling
- CWA – 029 – Instant messages failed to deliver/sec
- CWA – 031 – Instant messages received/sec
However, you can modify this default display by adding new counters or removing existing counters. You can also delete performance counters from the embedded instances of Performance Monitor.
To add a counter
Log on to the computer that is running the Communicator Web Access snap-in. You must log on as a member of the local Administrators group and the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group.
Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Communicator Web Access.
In the console tree, click the name of the Communicator Web Access computer that you want to monitor.
In the details pane, click the Performancetab.
To add a new counter to this instance of Performance Monitor, click the Addbutton.
In the Add Countersdialog box, use the Available counterslist to do one of the following:
- To add counters for actions in the Active Directory Domain
Services (for example, the number of searches performed), expand
CWA – 00 – Directory Object.
- To add counters related to authentication and authorization
activities (for example, how many users are logged on to a given
virtual server), expand
CWA – 01 – Authentication Module.
- To add counters related to security (for example, how many
requests were sent using an invalid authentication ticket), expand
CWA – 02 – Security.
- To add counters for general session information (for example,
how many instant messages were sent or how many sessions were
CWA – 03 – User session Service.
- To add counters not directly related to Communicator Web
Access, expand the appropriate performance object.
- To add counters for actions in the Active Directory Domain Services (for example, the number of searches performed), expand CWA – 00 – Directory Object.
Select the performance counter that you want to add. To add more than one counter from a given performance object, select the first counter, and then CTRL+click the additional counters that you want to add. To select all of the counters for a performance object, double-click the name of the performance object.
Do one (or both) of the following:
- To monitor the individual performance of all instances of the
selected counters, click
- To monitor the combined performance of all instances of the
selected counters, click
- To monitor the individual performance of all instances of the selected counters, click <All instances>.
Click Add, and then click Close.
To delete a counter
Select one of the performance counters listed at the bottom of the Performance Monitor in the Communicator Web Access snap-in and then press DELETE. In Windows Server 2008, you can remove all of the performance counters currently in use by right-clicking any counter, and then clicking Remove All Counters.