On start up, the T-Mobile Communication Center is set to operate in Auto mode. This means that the software will first try to connect over WLAN and then if needed over GPRS (if the used card supports both connection methods).
T-Mobile Communication Center is pre-configured with four application buttons (from left to right: ‘Email’, ‘Internet’, ‘SMS’ and ‘Connect’) that can be used with both WLAN and GPRS connections. The function of each button is described below.
To connect over WLAN follow these simple instructions.
1. Start T-Mobile Communication Center by double-clicking on the Communication Center-icon on the desktop.
2. If a WLAN Hotspot is available, the user interface will display “T-Mobile HotSpot” and “Offline”. Wait for this to be displayed.
3. Click the “Connect” button to launch the Voucher screen.
4. Choose the type of voucher you would like to order. The voucher decides on how long you can use the WLAN connection, for example 1, 3 or 24 hours. Make your choice and click OK.
5. Now a screen is displayed showing the progress of the voucher order. Wait for it to end.
6. When the T-Mobile Welcome web page is displayed, you can start to surf. In the user interface you can now also view the Signal Strength, T-Mobile Operator name and the Remaining time of the voucher, i.e. how long time you have left to surf, over WLAN. The user interface will also state “Connected”.
To end an ongoing
session simply click the disconnect button on the lower
right of the main application window.
You can use GPRS with both the Nokia D211 GPRS/WLAN card as well as with the GPRS PC-card from T-Mobile.
To connect over GPRS using Nokia D211 GPRS/WLAN card:
1. Start T-Mobile Communication Center by double-clicking the TMCC icon on the desktop.
2. In the user interface, click the “Override” button.
3. In the “Override Connection Settings” screen, choose ‘GPRS’ and click OK.
4. Wait for the T-Mobile operator name and Signal strength to be visible in the user interface. When you can view this, you are attached to the GPRS network.
5. Use the Connection buttons in the user interface to connect to the Internet.
Use the Email Button, to connect to the Internet via GPRS
and to launch your email program automatically.
o Use the Internet button to connect to the Internet via GPRS and automatically launch your default set Web browser.
o Use the SMS button to launch the SMS Center.
o Use the Connect button to simply connect to the Internet over GPRS.
To connect over GPRS using GPRS PC-card from T-Mobile:
1. Start T-Mobile Communication Center by double-clicking the TMCC icon on the desktop.
2. Wait for the T-Mobile operator name and Signal strength to be visible in the user interface. When you can view this, you are attached to the GPRS network.
3. Use the buttons in the user interface to connect to the Internet. Please refer to step 5 above under section “To connect over GPRS using Nokia D211 GPRS/WLAN card”.
T-Mobile Communication Center -Features
In the T-Mobile Communication Center there is a number of add-on modules that handles functionality like SMS editing and e-mail setup. Below, the descriptions of these functions can be found.
The T-Mobile Communication Center is equipped with an SMS application. To start to use the SMS application, click the ‘SMS’ button in the UI.
To create and send a new SMS:
1. Click the ‘Write new SMS’ button.
2. Write your message in the ‘Message’ field.
3. Type in the phone number of the receiver (one or multiple) of the message, in the ‘Phone Number’ field or double-click the receiver in the Contacts list field.
4. Click the ‘Send’ button.
5. The message is stored temporary in the ‘Outbox’ folder and then automatically moved to the ‘Sent Items’ folder.
The ‘File’ menu lets you import/export contacts and the ‘Tools’ menu lets you edit settings for the SMS application. Normally, the SMS application reads all needed parameters from the SIM card. It is therefore advised, not to change any settings unless there is a clear reason for doing so.
From the SMS application you can Send and Receive messages as well as Import/Export/Edit contacts between T-Mobile Communication Center and the SIM-card.
In order to ensure the ease of use of the SMS application there are separate folders for the:
- To Import and Export contacts, choose the ‘File’ menu and then ‘Import / From SIM card’ or ‘Export / To SIM card’.
- You can edit and delete contacts from the Contacts list by using the related buttons for this located below the Contact List field, ‘Edit’ and ‘Delete’.
- To add a new contact, click the ‘New’ button located below the ‘New Contacts’ field. The type in the name and phone number in the ‘New Contact’ field and click ‘Save’.
- If you create a message by clicking the ‘Write New SMS’ button and the click the ‘Save’ button below the ‘Message’ window, the message will be stored in the Drafts folder.
- You can at any time delete messages stored in the Drafts folder by highlighting the message that you want to delete and click ‘Delete’.
To send a message from the Drafts folder, simply highlight the
message in the ‘Drafts list’ and click the ‘Edit’ button
below the ‘Message’ window. You will be displayed the same screen
as seen when you click ‘Write New SMS’, giving you the chance of
sending the message. Alternatively, you can also double-click any
message from the Drafts list to be displayed this screen.
The Inbox folder contains all received messages.
- Delete a message from the Inbox by highlighting the message and clicking ‘Delete’ button.
- Click the ‘Add to Contacts’ button to add the phone number and name of the sender of the received message, to the Contacts folder list.
You can reply and forward messages by highlighting the message and
then click the ‘Reply’ or ‘Forward’.
The Outbox folder temporarily stores sent messages. If you are not connected to GPRS, the message will be stored until the next time that you connect to the GPRS network.
- To delete a message from the Outbox list, highlight the message and click the ‘Delete’ button.
To edit a message before it is sent, highlight the message and
click the ‘Edit’ button. You will then be displayed the
‘Write New SMS’ screen that lets you edit and re-send the
The Sent Items folder stores sent messages until you delete them
- To delete a message, highlight the message in the Sent Items list and click the ‘Delete’ button.
- You can also edit a sent message and have it sent again. Simply highlight the message in the Sent Items list and click the ‘Edit’ button. You will then be displayed the ‘Write New SMS’ screen that lets you edit and re-send the message.
T-Mobile Communication Center includes an Email wizard that helps you to configure email accounts.
The Email wizard is started through the Start/Programs/Communication Center shortcut.
To create an account, you need to select the type of account from the list of providers and enter the following information:
▪ Account Name
▪ First Name
▪ Last Name
▪ Email address
Within the same session, you can create another account by ticking I want to create another email account and click on Finish otherwise click on Cancel.
When you click on Finish, the Email wizard modifies your default email client settings and adds the account with your details. To modify the details or remove an account, please refer to the email client.
T-Mobile Communication Center supports POP3and IMAP4 mail server types.
The Email wizard can be run manually from the Start Programs menu of Windows. Select Add Email Account... in T-Mobile Communication Center menu.
You can check which Email program that is the default one on your PC from Control Panel. Simply select Internet options. The program tab shows you the list of programs associated to email.
During the installation procedure of T-Mobile Communication Center an update agent is installed on the PC. The update agent runs in the background as a separate application.
The automatic update agent runs automatically at start-up of your PC. It is capable of detecting any available new version of T-Mobile Communication Center software, drivers and configuration files and informs the user that an update is available.
Periodically, every 14th day, the update agent connects to a server using FTP over the network connection available from the PC. When this happens the update agent checks on the server whether new files are available and the following progress dialog is shown on the PC screen:
When clicking Snooze the previous dialog will pop-up after the defined time indicated in the Click Snooze to re-check in field has elapsed.
When clicking Start, the update agent may ask whether to download them or not:
§ When clicking Select All, all the new files will be selected.
§ When clicking Always download all files without showing this dialog, all the new files will be automatically selected and downloaded.
§ When clicking OK, the update agent downloads the file and the download progress is displayed on the PC screen:
When new files installation has been successfully downloaded, a dialog will be displayed to inform the user that the update has been performed:
When there are no new files to be downloaded, the automatic update completes successfully and the previous dialogs are displayed