Topic Last Modified: 2010-03-31
You enable and configure remote access to control whether remote users can collaborate with internal Communications Server users. Remote users have a persistent Active Directory identity within the organization. They include employees working at home or on the road and other remote workers, such as trusted vendors, who have been granted enterprise credentials. Remote users can create and join conferences and act as presenters.
You can control remote access on two levels:
- On the Edge Server, you specify whether to allow incoming
remote access connections. Use the procedure in this topic to
specify whether to allow incoming remote access connections. If you
configured this functionality when you deployed your Edge Servers,
you do not need to do so again, unless you want to change these
- At the user account level, you specify which users can make
incoming connections from remote locations. For details, see
Federation, Remote User Access, and Public IM Connectivity for
To configure remote access
Open Communications Server Control Panel.
Click External Access, click Access Edge Policy, and then do one of the following:
- To create a new global policy, click New, and then click
Site policy. In Select a Site, click the appropriate
site from the list and then click OK.
- To create a new user policy click New, and then click
User policy. In Create Access Edge Policy, create a
unique name in the Name field that indicates what the user
policy covers (for example, EnableRemoteUsers for a user
policy that enables communications with remote users).
- To modify an existing policy, click the appropriate policy
listed in the table, click Edit, and then click
- To create a new global policy, click New, and then click Site policy. In Select a Site, click the appropriate site from the list and then click OK.
To enable remote user access, select the Enable communications with remote users check box.
Click Access Edge Configuration, click the appropriate policy listed in the table, and then click Modify.
In Edit Access Edge Configuration, select the Enable remote user access check box.