Applies to: Exchange Server 2007
Topic Last Modified: 2008-03-13
This topic provides information about how to troubleshoot Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Setup if Setup fails while installing the Hub Transport server role with the following error:
[ERROR] The accepted domain contoso.com already exists
The actual domain name in the error message will vary depending on your configuration.
This issue occurs if all of the following conditions are true:
- You have configured an accepted domain that has a wildcard (for
example, *.contoso.com) to accept messages for that domain and all
of its subdomains.
- You have configured an e-mail address policy that uses the same
domain name for generating e-mail addresses (for example,
- You are running the release to manufacturing (RTM) version of
Exchange Server 2007.
To resolve this problem, do one of the following:
- Upgrade to Microsoft Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1.
- Do not use wildcards when configuring accepted domains.
Explicitly specify each subdomain that you use in your e-mail
address policies as an accepted domain. For step by step
instructions about configuring accepted domains, see How to Create Accepted