Topic Last Modified: 2008-11-13
The Microsoft Exchange Analyzer Tool examines the following registry entry to determine the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system that is running on the computer:
Version values are as follows:
|CurrentVersion value||Microsoft Windows operating system|
Microsoft Windows NT® Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003
Microsoft Windows Server 2008
Next, the Exchange Analyzer queries the Win32_OperatingSystem Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) class to determine the value for the ServicePackMajorVersion key. The value for the ServicePackMajorVersion key indicates which Windows service pack is installed on the computer.
Finally, the Exchange Analyzer queries the CIM_Datafile Microsoft Windows® Management Instrumentation (WMI) class to determine the value that is set for the Version key of the Tcpip.sys file.
If the Exchange Analyzer determines that all of the following conditions are true, the Exchange Analyzer displays an error message:
- The target computer is running on the
Windows Server 2003 operating system with
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed.
- The Tcpip.sys file on the target computer is older than version
This error means that there is a Scalable Networking Pack (SNP) rollup hotfix package available for this computer that may address possible networking issues for this computer in some configurations.
Symptoms of these networking issues may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Connection to the server using a VPN connection fails with the
error message "Error 800: Unable to establish connection."
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connections to the server cannot
- Computers on the same local area network cannot connect to
shares on the server.
- Microsoft Office Outlook clients cannot connect to the Exchange
- Generally slow network performance.
- Outgoing FTP connections cannot be established from the
- Network Address Translation (NAT) clients that are located
behind Windows Small Business Server 2003 or Internet Security and
Acceleration (ISA) Server experience intermittent connection
- Intermittent RPC communications failures.
- The server stops responding.
To help address some of the symptoms listed above that might be affecting your server, download and install the SNP hotfix rollup package described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 950224, "A Scalable Networking Pack (SNP) hotfix rollup package is available for Windows Server 2003" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=950224).
For more information about this issue, see the following Exchange resources:
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 948496, " An update to turn
off default SNP features is available for Windows Server 2003-based
and Small Business Server 2003-based computers" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=948496)
- The Microsoft Exchange Team Blog "Windows 2003 Scalable
Networking pack and its possible effects on Exchange" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=113738)